After meetings, it was decided that the three topics that the videos would explore, would be Roland Barthes’ Mythologies, Marshall McLuhan’s The Medium is the Message, and theories of Feminism from Laura Mulvey. While the subjects have been split between us, it falls to me to write the final script for each. While I have knowledge of McLuhan’s work through previous classes and projects, I have never studied feminism, or Roland Barthes’ mythologies. With this in mind, I decided to read through Mythologies, and educate myself in feminism. Since I would be starting from scratch with feminism, I decided to find books that would reframe the theories in a manner that maybe easier for me to digest, in this case, horror films and superheroes.
- Barthes, R. (1957) Mythologies. Hill and Wang: New York.
- Chaudhuri, S. (2006) Feminist Film Theorists: Laura Mulvey, Kaja Silverman, Teresa de Laurentis, Barbara Creed. Routledge: London.
- Clover, C. (1992) Men, Women, and Chainsaws: Gender in the Modern Horror Film. Princeton University Press: New Jersey.
- Madrid, M. (2016) The Supergirls: Fashion, Feminism, Fantasy, and the hisotry of comic book heroines. Consortium Books: USA.
- McLuhan, M. (1964) Understanding Media: The Extensions of Man. Routledge: London.
- McLuhan, M. & Fiore, Q. (1967) The Medium is the Massage. Penguin Books: London.