- Use shorter words when you can, instead of more complicated big words.
- Cut out words if you can
- Use active words instead of passive. (?) [A hit B, instead of B was hit by A]
- Use plain English instead of jargon
- Write in plain conversational English, don’t add extra language just to sound smart.
- Use everyday speech, Let instead of Permit, People instead of Persons, Buy instead of Purchase. Etc..
- Don’t make it sound like those who disagree with you are stupid
- Don’t make it sound like you are
- Try not to start a lot of sentences with the same word or phrase.
- Be lucid with your writing, simple short sentences help here.
- Long sentences or paragraphs can be confusing.
- Don’t use abbreviations unless they are overly common.
- Avoid aggressive language
- Agree = agreed about, on or to, not just agreed
- Avoid Americanisms